|Books and Articles for Middle School
Burn Pain and Its Treatment
- Australian Broadcasting Company - show transcripts
in the elderly
Tasters- Taste, the Mind and Nutrition
sleep-walking, sleep-talking, and even murder while you sleep
- Hypnosis and
- What is so
unique about us humans?
Short explanations of various topics from the Society for Neuroscience.
- Discover Magazine
- The Skinny On...
People's Inner Voice
Laughter - January-February, 1996
of Stroke - May-June 1997
Deficiency Syndrome - March-April 1996
Project of the Mind (J. Barrett)
An article focusing on brain
NIH Radio News
Service - Audio Files
March Madness need a time-out?
Slumber's Unexplored Landscape
NIH Office of Science Education
Prions: Puzzling Infectious Proteins
Emotions and Disease
Help for Cuckoo Clocks - Melatonin
Images of Dyslexia
Video Game Epilepsy
Spinal Cord Injury Home Page
Insights from a Broken Brain
Science News Online
- Grown-Up Monkey
Brains Get Growing
Evolution to Regrow Nerves
- Brains show signs
of two bilingual roads
doubles up on marijuana like agents
- Bridging the Brain
- Chilled Brains
- Hibernating animals may hold clues to novel stroke treatments
Cow Disease, Human Illness Tied
- Magnesium May Stave
off Cerebral Palsy
- Napless cats
awaken interest in adenosine
- Patients Savor this
of Things False
in Your Gut?
Reaction - Chemical Catastrophes
- Fatigue and
an Eye Works
- Mad Cow Disease
- Minding the Body
- Can emotions affect health?
the Spinal Cord
- Sounds of
- Spinal Cord
Injury and Recovery
Psychology - how the mind helps the body
- Minding the Body
- Your Brain on
- Bart G.J. Knols and Jocelign Meijerink, Odors Influence Mosquito
Behavior, in Science and Medicine, September/October 1997, pp.
- Life Magazine
- The Brain, in Life Magazine, February 1997, pp.
- Natural History
- The Nature of Learning, in Natural History,
September, 1997, pp. 42-65. A collection of short articles about how
humans and other animals learn.
- Newsweek Magazine
- Sharon Begley, Is Everybody Crazy, in Newsweek, January 26,
1998, pp. 50-55. Mental illness and brain research.
- Sharon Begley, Aping Language, in Newsweek, January 19, 1998,
pp. 56-58. Do chimps have brain structures for language?
- Sharon Begley, How to Build a Baby's Brain, in Newsweek Special
Issue, Spring/Summer 1997, pp. 28-32. [also see pp. 12-15 and page
38-39 of the same issue.] Article about brain development.
- Sharon Begley, Memories are made of..., in Newsweek, November
4, 1996, pp. 68. Article about memory improvement by nicotine. )
- Sharon Begley, To Stand and Raise a Glass, in Newsweek, July 1,
1996, pp. 52-55. Article about spinal cord injury.
- Sharon Begley, Jagged Little Pill, in Newsweek, August 18,
1997, pp. 66. - Article about the history of aspirin
- Geoffrey Cowley, The President's Got a New Aid, in Newsweek,
October 13, 1997, p. 43 - President Clinton's new hearing
- Geoffrey Cowley, Is There a Sixth Sense?, in Newsweek, October
13, 1997, p. 67. - report on the vomeronasal organ
- Geoffrey Cowley and Anne Underwood, A Little Help from
Serotonin, in Newsweek, Dec. 29, 1997-Jan. 5, 1998, pp. 78-81.
- Claudia Kalb, Our Embattled Ears, in Newsweek, August 25, 1997,
pp. 75-76. - hearing loss and how to protect your hearing
- Carla Koehl, Happier Days Ahead? The Future of Mind Drugs, in
Newsweek, April 21, 1997, p. 13.
- Mark Starr, Arms like lead! Hit 'em in the head, in Newsweek,
December 1, 1997, pp. 70-71. Concussions crisis in football.
- Brad Stone, Zapping the Eye, in Newsweek, June 2, 1997, pp.
80-81. New eye surgery using a laser.
- Pat Wingert and Anne Underwood, Hey-Look Out, World, Here I
Come, in Newsweek Special Issue, Spring/Summer 1997, pp. 12-15.
Article about brain development.
- Science News
- Bruce Bower, Creatures in the Brain, in Science News,
vol. 149, p. 234, 1996.
- K. Fackelmann, Forecasting Alzheimer's Disease, in Science
News, vol. 149, p. 312-313, 1996.
- J. Travis, Brains in Space, in Science News, vol. 149, p.
- Scientific American
- David J. Chalmers, The Puzzle of Conscious Experience, in
Scientific American, December 1995 Issue, vol. 273 (6), pp. 80-86.
- Dora Y. Ho and Robert M. Sapolsky, Gene Therapy for the Nervous
System, in Scientific American, June 1997 Issue, pp. 116-120.
- Marcus E. Raichle, Visualizing the Mind, in Scientific
American, April 1994, pp. 58.
- National Geographic
- Boyd Gibbons, The Intimate Sense of Smell, in National
Geographic Magazine, September 1986 Issue, vol. 170, No. 3, pp.
- Boyd Gibbons, Alcohol. The Legal Drug, in National
Geographic Magazine, February 1992 Issue, vol. 181, No. 2, pp.
- Michael E. Long, The Sense of Sight, in National Geographic
Magazine, November 1992 Issue, vol. 182, No. 5, pp. 3-41.
- Paul D. Martin, Messengers to the Brain, National Geographic
Society Press, Washington, D.C., 1985, pp. 104.
- Mark W. Moffett, Poison-dart Frogs. Lurid and Lethal, National
Geographic Magazine, May 1995, vol. 187, vol. 187, No. 5, pp. 98-111.
- George Steinmetz, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, in National
Geographic Magazine, February 1992, vol. 181, No. 2, pp. 36-39.
- Joel L. Swerdlow, Quiet Miracles of the Brain, in
National Geographic Magazine, June 1995 Issue, vol. 187, No. 6, pp.
- Rick Weiss, Aging: New Answers to Old Questions, in national
Geographic Magazine, November 1997 Issue, pp. 2-31, 1997.
Overviews of the Nervous System
- Isaac Asimov, How Did We Find Out About The Brain?, Walker and
Co., New York, 1987, pp. 61.
- Jim Barmeier, The Brain, Lucent Books, Inc., San Diego, 1996,
- Melvin Berger, Exploring the Mind and Brain, Thomas Y. Crowell,
New York, 1983, pp. 117.
- Faith Hickman Brynie, 101 Questions Your Brain Has Asked About
Itself but Couldn't Answer ...Until Now, The Millbrook Press,
Brookfield, Connecticut, 1998, pp. 176.
- Marian C. Diamond, Arnold B. Scheibel, Lawrence M. Elson, The Human
Brain Coloring Book, Barnes and Noble Books, New York, 1985, pp. 301.
- Sylvia Funston and Jay Ingram, It's All in Your Brain, Grosset
and Dunlap, New York, 1995, pp. 64.
- Susan A. Greenfield, The Human Mind
Explained, Henry Holt and Co., New York, 1996, pp.192.
An EXCELLENT guide to the brain with plenty of pictures.
- Robert D. Griffin, The Biology Coloring Book, Harper Collins,
New York, 1986, pp. 256.
- Wynn Kapit and Lawrence M. Elson, The Anatomy Coloring Book,
Harper Collins, New York, 1993, pp. 352.
- KIDS Discover- Issue on the Brain, Vol. 6, Issue
2, Kids Discover, New York, February, 1996, pp. 19.
- Elaine N. Marieb, The A&P Coloring Workbook, A Complete Study
Guide, third edition, Benjamin/Cummings.
- Paul Nordstrom August, The Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Drugs,
Series 2, Brain Function, Chelsea House Publ., New York, 1988, pp. 123
- Steve Parker, The Brain and Nervous System, Franklin Watts,
London, 1990, pp. 48.
- Steve Parker, Nerves to Senses: Projects in Biology,
Gloucester Press, New York, 1991, pp. 32.
- Ron Schultz, Looking Inside the Brain, John Muir Publications,
Santa Fe, 1992, pp. 43.
- Pat Sharp, Brain Power!, Lothrop, Lee and Shepard Books, New
York, 1984, pp. 56.
- Alvin Silverstein and Virginia Silverstein, World of the Brain,
William Morrow and Co., New York, 1986, pp. 197.
- Society for Neuroscience
Briefings - A
great resource with short
discussion of topics including Epilepsy and GABA, The Roots of ALS,
Alzheimer's Abnormalities, The Retinoblastoma Gene, Birth Defects,
Multiple Sclerosis, The Prefrontal Cortex and Schizophrenia, Huntington's
Disease Genetics, Parkinson's and Dopamine, The Senses, Sleep, Brain
Imaging, Development, Brain Mechanisms (Serotonin and Judgment, The
Brain's Stash, Cell Suicide, Oxidative Stress and Brain Disorders, The
Opiate Receptor, Neurotrophic Factors, NMDA Receptor Blockers, Biological
- Brain Facts. A Primer on the Brain and
Nervous System, Society for Neuroscience, Washington, D.C., 1993,
- Brain Concepts - short pamphlets on Brain Development, Drugs, Genes
and the Brain, How the Brain Ages, Vision, Sleep, Stress and the Brain,
- Carol Turkington, The Brain Encyclopedia, Facts on File, Inc.,
New York, 1995, pp. 316.
Specific Areas of the Nervous System
For more on-line and off-line books and magazine articles, see the
Books Page and Neuroscience
In The News.
- Vicki Cobb, How to Really Fool Yourself, J.B. Lippincott, New
York, 1981, pp. 145.
- Michael DiSpezio, Visual Foolery, Addison-Wesley Publishing
Co., Reading, 1995, pp. 64.
- Larry Kettelkamp, Tricks of Eye and Mind, William Morrow and
Co., New York, 1974, pp. 127.
- Alvin, Virginia and Robert Silverstein, Smell, The Subtle
Sense, Morrow Junior Books, New York, 1992, pp. 90.