Go to Section
- Unit of mass equal to one-twelfth the mass of an atom of carbon-12 and therefore close to the mass of a hydrogen atom. [More]
- Darwin, Charles
- [Darwin's finches] [experiments on phototropism]
- DDT (dichloro, diphenyl, trichloroethane)
- Removal of an amino group (-NH2) from a compound. [Equation]
- decapentaplegic (dpp)
- Removal of carbon dioxide from the carboxyl group of an organic acid.[in cellular respiration]
- in nutrient recycling
- Delayed-type Hypersensitivity (DTH)
- (1) Proteins: Alteration of the physical properties and three-dimensional structure by agents too mild to break the peptide bonds. [More] (2) DNA: Separation of the two strands of the double helix (sometimes called "melting").
- Dendritic cells
- See phylogenetic tree.
- Deoxyribonucleic acid (go to DNA)
- Desert biome
- [mellitus (IDDM & NIDDM)] [insipidus]
- [stem structure]
- Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs)
- see RDAs
- Structural and functional modification of an unspecialized cell into a specialized one.
- Heterozygous at two different gene loci. [examples]
- Having female sex organs on one plant, male on another. The holly is dioecious. [and self-incompatibility]
- [Description] [in agent orange] [in milk]
- Diphyllobothrium latum
- Having two of each kind of chromosome (except for the sex chromosomes); 2n
- Disruptive selection
- Separation of ions from a molecule or crystal lattice.[image]
- Situated away from the place of origin or attachment.
- Disulfide bridge (in proteins)
- Dixon, H. H.
- Polymer of deoxyribonucleotides that stores genetic information.
[The Double Helix]
[sequencing by the dideoxy method]
- DNA polymerase
- An enzyme that catalyzes the polymerization of deoxyribonucleotides to form DNA complementary to a template (either DNA or, in the case of reverse transcriptase, RNA). [More]
- DNase I
- First mammal (a sheep) cloned from an adult cell [more]
- [as hormone] [as neurotransmitter]
- Double-stranded breaks (DSBs) in DNA
- Down syndrome
- [trisomy 21]
- Drosophila melanogaster
- [diploid number]
[selector genes] [embryonic development]
- [Clinical testing] [psychoactive]
- Ductus arteriosus
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)
- A chromosome and its duplicate that was synthesized during S phase, while still connected by their single shared centromere. The two chromosomes of the dyad are known as sister chromatids. The chromatids of the dyad separate at anaphase of mitosis and of meiosis II. [Diagram] [in meiosis]